Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mama's Meatloaf

Hamburger is on sale for $1.99/lb at Fred Meyer this week! That is a really low price now-a-days! That's why I'm blogging about it today!

I never understood growing up why meatloaf was always portrayed as the nasty meal no kid would want to eat. I love my mom's meatloaf! Best meal ever! I remember once going over to a friends house because they were having meatloaf. It was there that I learned that meatloaf is such a generic word. Everyone's meatloaf is the same. I have heard of so many things being put into meatloaf... oatmeal, olives, peppers... my recipe is simple.

So here it is, Mama's Meatloaf 
(Just know Mama isn't always know for measuring out everything!)

Serves 4, easily changeable for more

2 lb hamburger          
1 small onion
6-8 slices of bread
2 eggs
ketchup (2 big squirts)

Combine all ingredients in a mixer or mix by hand in a bowl. If the meat is not sticking together, add more bread. If it is super dense, add another egg and a bit more ketchup. Loaves should look like this:

Put ketchup on top of loaves, bake at 375 for 1hr 15 minutes. (I sometimes have to cook it for longer. I always cut it open at 1.15 to check.)


**I usually put two slices of bread under each loaf to collect the grease...
Only had frozen bread crumbs to work with tonight.**

Ingredients change based on lbs of hamburger:
onion (to your linking)
usually 3-4 slices of bread per lb.
1 egg per lb
1 big squirt ketchup per lb

Let me know if you tried and liked this!






No comments:

Post a Comment